Your dentist at Smile 32 Dental Centers will discuss a care and prevention plan for the special needs of your child’s developing teeth, in addition to preventing tooth decay and gum disease.
Dental Visits for Children
Smile 32 Dental Centers recommends a visit before the second birthday. The examination of your child’s teeth and gums prevents early problems. It is important to get them comfortable with the office and a quick examination.
Preventative Care for Infants
Infant care is essential. Before there are any visible teeth, good dental practices begin. Parents should use a damp cloth to wipe the gums of infants after each meal and before bed. Use a soft toothbrush once teeth emerge. Do not put a child to bed with a bottle of anything other than water. This will prevent tooth decay.
Child Dental Care
Smile 32 Dental Centers wants to help you prevent tooth decay and gum disease in your child’s developing teeth. Here’s how you can do it:
- Brush their teeth –The dentists at Smile 32 Dental Centers suggest that you help younger children with their brushing until they are capable of properly doing it themselves. Brush before bedtime with soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day. Before bedtime is especially important. Have them brush in the morning and after meals whenever possible.
- Don’t let them swallow toothpaste – Children only need a pea-sized amount on their brush, and they should be taught how to rinse and spit.
- Schedule dental appointments – every 6 months. These visits will include a thorough examination and a professional cleaning by your dentist at Smile 32 Dental Centers or a dental hygienist.
- Begin Flossing – before bedtime, once they get their permanent teeth.
- Braces or extraction – to correct crooked or crowded teeth in their teen years.
- Fluoride supplements – may be recommended by your dentist.
Prevention with regular dental visits
Regular dental visits serve two important purposes – to give teeth a very thorough cleaning, and to examine teeth and gums for signs of serious problems. Children can resist cavities with good diet and proper dental hygiene. Your dentist at Smile 32 Dental Centers can discuss specific methods to fight tooth decay, including fluoride treatments and special sealants for children’s permanent molars.
Child Dental Care and prevention is important
Regular visits give your dentist at Smile 32 Dental Centers a chance to detect small problems before they become major ones. Good hygiene and dental visits are cost-effective in the long run, preventing teeth repair and replacement.
Children’s Fear of Dentists
Smile 32 Dental Centers recommends bringing your child to one of your routine dental visits. This will help them get acquainted with us and realize there is no fear in seeing us. We are experienced with children, will put your child at ease in a stress-free environment.